Hey lovely people,
So you might have noticed but I have really long hair and I thought it might be nice to share some of the tips and tricks I’ve picked up along the way to keep my hair looking healthy and happy.
So for a bit of background I’ve got very fine hair strands but lots of them! My hair has been this length for the last couple of years but have had it shorter in the past which I think has helped make it thicker. I dye my hair lighter but very rarely (about every 6 months) and then let it slowly grow out. My hair is nice to me as I don’t seem to ever get the dreaded root line. I would say I only ever really go about 2/3 shades lighter than my natural colour and I get it trimmed every 3 or so months just to keep the ends tidy.
Right onto my tips!
- I condition before washing – I know I’m doing it backwards but in all honesty this stops it getting greasy quickly. For all you lovely people with fine hair try this it totally changed how often I have to wash my hair!
- Use hair oil – I use a Neal and Wolf Hair Oil on the ends it doesn’t make a difference to me whether it’s on towel dried or dry hair it still does the same thing for me but it makes sure my ends stay shiny and healthy! No split ends here people!
- If you want long hair don’t cut it lots – so I know some people think you should have your hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks to make it grow – I don’t think this is true if you want long hair don’t keep chopping it off. I tend to just wait for the ends to look a bit damaged or unhappy and then go for a trim.
- Use your straighteners less – I know this is a common one but weirdly my straight-ish hair has actually become straighter after not using my straighteners as much – no idea why maybe I’ve just become better a blow drying it! I get that for you wonderful people who have naturally curly hair (I’m endlessly jealous!) that you need straighteners but for those like me who have pretty straight hair already ditch the straighteners!
- If you dye your hair lighter use purple shampoo – my favourite is this one but whatever you like best it keeps the lighter colour from going brassy and they really do work. I mix mine in with conditioner and pull it through my hair and then leave it on while I wash the rest of me and shave my legs! Then rinse and shampoo!
My top 5 products are:
- Heat Protect Spray – I like this VO5 one as it’s volumising too!
- Dry shampoo – everyone’s best friend and I think Bastiste is the best!
- Curl Spray – keeps my waves/curls in all day and smells great.
- Hair Oil – Neal and Wolf is the best I’ve tried.
- Purple Shampoo – I like Provoke Touch of Silver.
So those are a few things I’ve picked up along the way. What are your hair tips have you got any you think I should try? Let me know in the comments below.